Green Steps Program
Square One’s Green Steps Program ensures we reduce our carbon footprint and work with our tenants and guests towards more eco-efficient business practices.
- The placement of interior recycling/waste containers throughout the property.
- An automated energy management system that controls all common area heating/cooling and exterior/interior lighting minimizing energy consumption.
- The installation of high-efficiency lighting equipment to maintain proper lighting levels while reducing energy usage.
- Assisting retailers with proper waste disposal.
- Use of environmentally-friendly cleaning supplies.
- Smoke-Free Entrances (Cleaner Air Program)
- Diversion Rates (56% diversion in 2011)
- Reusable dineware and cutlery offered at all Food Central vendors.
To demonstrate Square One’s continuous sustainability efforts, with the launch of Food Central and its full-service scullery, plus the Tenant Waste Management Program, here are some environmental highlights from 2013 alone:
- By recycling cardboard, we’ve:
- Saved 8,255 trees
- Saved 1,942,280 kilowatts of energy
- Saved 12,147 cubic metres of landfill space
- Saved 12,625 litres of water
- By installing an Organic Waste Pulper, we’ve Increased organic waste recycling by 300%
SQUARE ONE WAS AWARDED THE HIGHEST BOMA* BEST AWARD
*Building and Owners and Managers Association
A Green Future with Sustainable Practices Hoarding for Humanity Program
Did you know that hoarding materials have the shortest life-span that result in an increase of waste? Square One, partnering alongside Hoarding for Humanity, uses an environmentally-friendly approach to the hoarding process: all materials used during renovations are recycled and then reused as part of building projects, undertaken by Habitat for Humanity.
The Hoarding For Humanity program is a refreshing, innovative and eco-friendly solution to hoarding nightmares of the past. Together, Square One and Habitat for Humanity Canada offer a whole-hearted and well-rounded recycling program that guarantees environmental sustainability.
Square One’s Green Steps Program is a property-wide initiative that will continue to prove its ongoing commitment to ensure the follow-through of eco-conscious business practices.
Square One is a proud supporter of: