Enjoy a Canadian pizza filled with sweet (and savoury) toppings alongside a frozen sipper featuring strawberries, ice cream and pineapple juice.
Learn how to make these recipes with chef, Alexandra Lai.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tbsp dry active yeast
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup pepperoni slices
- Olive oil, to taste
Non Alcoholic Canadian Flag Frozen Sipper
- 2 cups strawberries, green parts removed
- 2 cups ice
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (can substitute with water)
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream (can substitute with coconut nice cream)
- Mixing cups
- Pot (and stove)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Tall Glass
- In a large bowl, add warm water, active yeast and sugar. Let sit for about five minutes.
- Add the remainder of dough ingredients, and mix until a ragged dough forms.Lightly flour a flat surface and knead dough until smooth and elastic. Coat in an even layer of olive oil, and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. Once dough has risen, roll out to form a rustic pizza crust.
- Spread tomato sauce evenly and top with mozzarella cheese. Evenly place remaining toppings on top.
- Preheat barbeque to medium high heat, about 500°F. Place aluminum foil on top of the grill, and lightly grease. Place pizza on top of greased aluminum foil, and close the bbq.
- Let cook for about 15 minutes, checking every 5 minutes. When cheese is melted and brown, remove from the bbq and let sit for about 3 minutes before cutting and serving hot.
q&A with Alexandra Lai
Alexandra Lai is the Kitchen Coordinator at The District Kitchen.
CAN I USE A ROLLING PIN?
AL: Yes, you can use a rolling pin. If you’ve got a rolling pin, and want to use it, this would be a great time. If you don’t have one, you can use a cylindrical object, like a glass or a clean can.
CAN I USE GLUTEN FREE FLOUR?
AL: Yes, you can! Add a bit at a time as oppose to adding the flour all at once, as every gluten free flour mix has a different absorption rate.
AL: For the sipper, you can omit the ice cream completely, and you’ll have a beautiful strawberry smoothie that is really refreshing. You can also use a low-fat Greek yogurt.
For the pizza, you can always alter the toppings. For example, you can omit the cheese or replace it with nutritional yeast or tempeh and make the pizza vegan. If you want to increase the nutritional value of your pizza, I always recommend using at least three to five different coloured vegetables with every meal. Try experimenting!