Learn the tips and tricks to make a whole sushi dinner.
Join Chef Alexandra as she makes the classic California Roll.
This versatile dish can be enjoyed as a snack, appetizer, or meal— and you’ll learn how to pair it for each!
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 9 cups cooked short grain rice (about 3 cups uncooked)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 package fake crab meat, in sticks
- 1 avocado
- 1 package nori sheets (dried seaweed)
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi to garnish
- Cutting board
- Large mixing bowl
- Sushi rolling mat (or clean tea towel)
- Slice avocados and cucumbers into long thin strips; set aside.
- Put cooked rice into a large, flat bottomed bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix rice vinegar, sugar and salt until smooth. Pour evenly over rice, and gently mix, being careful not to crush any of the rice.
- Place nori on rolling mat smooth side down. Cover with rice, making the layer as thin as possible. Place cucumber, avocado, and crab along the edge closest to you. Use your fingers to hold them in place and use your thumbs to roll the edge of the seaweed over the fillings. Be gentle, but firm.
- Finish rolling the sushi and squeeze the completed roll tightly before cutting into 8 even pieces. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and wasabi.