Junior chefs, roll up your sleeves and join Chef Alexandra in making fruit crumbles!
These delicious desserts are a perfect summer treat, and can easily be made as a back to school snack.
So, grab a parent, and show off your chef skills!
- 3/4 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose four
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 5-6 cups of fruits, cubed into evenly sized- pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raisins, optional
- Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom, to taste, optional
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoon
- Casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, and any spices, if using.
- Using the back of a fork, work butter into the mixture until the whole mixture looks crumbly.
- In another bowl, combine your cut fruit with sugar, lemon juice, and if using, raisins and spices. Stir until well incorporated.
- In a baking dish, evenly spread fruit mixture on the bottom. Top with oat mixture, sprinkling it evenly on top.
- Place baking dish in the oven, and bake 35-50 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is browned.
- Remove from oven and let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Q&A WITH ALEXANDRA LAI
Alexandra Lai is the Kitchen Coordinator at The District Kitchen.
WHICH FRUITS ARE YOU USING?
AL: Today I am using fresh apples, peaches, and cherries. I wanted to use Ontario fruits that are in season.