National Cheeseburger Day is September 18th— and we're ready to celebrate!
Join The District Kitchen in celebrating with the cheeseburger connoisseur's favourite sandwich, a Smash Burger.
Kitchen Coordinator Alexandra will teach you how to choose the right kind of beef, how to caramelize it to perfection, and which toppings will make your burger sizzle.
Tune in Live on @shopFOODDISTRICT Instagram on Wednesday, September 16 at 6:30 PM to create this dinner-time favourite!
- Approximately 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef (medium fat content or higher)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Cheese slices, to taste
- 4 burger buns, toasted
- Toppings and condiments, as preferred for serving
- Cast iron skillet
- Cutting Board
- Spatula (or ceramic plate)
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high until very hot, about 2 minutes, then lightly brush with vegetable oil. Divide ground beef into 4 equal rustic portions, but do not roll them out into patty shapes.
- Place portions on a skillet and “smash” flat with a spatula or ceramic plate to form 4" diameter burgers.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the edges are brown. Do not touch the burgers during this time.
- Flip burgers, season again, and place a slice of cheese on top of each burger. Cook until cheese droops and burgers are medium, between 1 and two minutes (1 minute if you prefer your burgers on the medium-rare side).
- Serve patties on buns with toppings and condiments.