Watch Senior Sous Chef, Kristof Saar in action, and find out how to create a sweet and satisfying Cookies and Cream Milkshake with The District Kitchen and Sweet Jesus.
Get ready to enjoy ice cream with a new twist on a classic favourite!
- Vanilla ice cream, 5 swirls – approx. 2 cups
- Chocolate cookie crumbs, 2 tbsp, plus more for garnish
- Cookie dough pieces, 1 tbsp
- Xantham gum, ¼ tsp
- ¾ cup whole milk
- Whipped cream to top
- Chocolate syrup to top
- Measuring Spoon
- In the inside of a tall glass, pour chocolate syrup to coat.
- Set aside.
- In a blender, add vanilla ice cream, 2 tbsp cookie crumbs, 1 tbsp cookie dough, 1/4 tsp xanthamgum, and 3/4 cup whole milk. Securely close, and blend on high for 2 minutes, or until smooth.
- Pour milkshake into prepared glass, and top with whipped cream. Swirl the whipped cream slowly in circles to achieve the perfect shape.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup, and sprinkle more cookie crumbs on top to garnish.
- Serve immediately.
Q&A with Alexandra Lai and Kristof Saar
Alexandra Lai is the Kitchen Coordinator at The District Kitchen.
Kristof Saar is the Senior Sous Chef at La Carnita.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I USE A CREAM WITH A LOWER FAT CONTENT?
KS: It’s going to take a lot longer to whip. I’d recommend going with a 35% cream. That’s our go to for any whipping cream.
WHAT ARE SOME SUBSTITUTES FOR 3.25% MILK? CAN I USE 2.5%?
KS: Yes, for sure! You can use different kinds of milk but its going to be a little bit thinner in the final product. The 3.25% percent adds a creamy texture.
WHAT IF A DO NOT HAVE XANTHAM GUM?
AL: You can find Xantham gum in the baking section or the health foods section next to gluten free products. Alternately, you can also use chia seeds, psyllium husk, or ground flax seeds.
CAN I REPLACE THE XANTHAM GUM WITH CORN STARCH?
KS: Yes, however please be careful. Usually you want to create a slurry before adding into the milkshake. The slurry is corn starch and water. Please use a very small amount if you are going to add corn starch in the milkshake.
WHAT IF I DO NOT WANT TO USE EGGS?
AL: Replace every egg in your recipe with ¼ cup of apple sauce; it’s going to give you a really nice texture.